Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What's in your grocery cart?





The only experience I have with food stamps are listening to others.  I won't go into much detail about how they come about being eligible for food stamps.

I do, however, feel that the people I know who received them, misused them. I would hear things like, "I just buy what I want."  Most of the time they had high priced name brand products that I would not normally purchase. And it was one of those situations where they really missed them when they were gone. "I used to just throw things in the buggy and didn't care about how much it cost because I was using food stamps."

I can calculate to the dollar how much my groceries are going to come to at the check out counter and that is without a calculator or pen and paper. I want NO surprises.

In one circumstance one purchased a huge meat and cheese tray for a baby shower with food stamps. And I had NO idea you could purchase pop, candy, chips, donuts, cakes and pies with food stamps.

When visiting their house (no children, mind you) they had all kinds of snacks and goodies sitting around. Sitting in hog heaven, I'd say. At the time both adults were unemployed but staying with his in-laws who were very well to do. And getting $300 a month in food stamps.

I have never received one dollar in food stamps. I have at one point in my lifetime been able to put items in my grocery cart without thought of cost. Not these days; and I find myself resenting those remarks made by some folks who receive food stamps and their nonchalant attitude of just buying any old thing they want.

And (sigh) one more thing. I love this person but I cannot stand this act. Purchasing groceries with food stamps, using cash to buy beer, cigarettes, weed and lottery tickets. They are the ones who give all of this a really bad name. But alas, the situation has changed and this person receives nothing in aid from the government any longer. But that does not stop them from talking about how much they miss them while they scratch off yet another losing lottery ticket and smokes a cigarette.

On the other side of the coin, they did live a very fruitful life of working and paying taxes. Thirty years in a steel mill and never needing a hand out in all that time. I guess in some way they feel they deserve the handouts. They say they paid into it for years and years, now it is time to get some of it back. Is this the way it is supposed to work? I don't think so. They got their steel mill pension in one lump some and paid off their child's student loans. Now they only have social security to live on but for two years they did not have any income.

Sigh.  I went there.

5 comments:

Tabor said...

I am so glad you posted this. LIberals such as I need to hear these stories since I was concerned about the food stamp cut. These people have had their spirit knocked out of them and they are just waiting to die knowing they will not be able to get another job. BUT what is shows is that this food stamp aid is NOT working as needed more over site should be done and more restrictions put in place.

kden said...

I've never been on food stamps but have visited food banks; very depressing. I also budget and buy wisely and rarely splurge. If I ever was in a position to have to use stamps I admit I would splurge a little now and then, such as buying a steak instead of hamburger. But it would be a rare thing. I guess it depends on your mindset to begin with how you would act with a handout.

messymimi said...

People who need help need help to get back up, not reasons to stay down. It's how to do that -- there's the rub.

zelder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peruby said...

It is a very delicate and controversial subject.

I think overall I meant to say I may be a bit jealous of them and to say that this endeavor started out with good intentions and those who started it probably never dreamed that it would become so exploited.