Tuesday, March 26, 2013

In the gutter

I was determined to get my gutter/spouting replaced this spring. I called, got an estimate and told them "Go." When the guy called me with the estimate I said "I forgot to tell you about the building in the back."  At least I think that is what I said. I may have said "patio".  He said "Yeah, that is included in the quote." I said "Make sure you angle the drain so that it drains on the other side of the patio because right now it angles towards the sidewalk and when it overflows I have to walk in a big puddle of water. He said "Sure thing."

Sigh. Great.

They came. They left. I was at work. I came home - the house looked great but the garage was not done. Rats. I waited two days in case they were coming back. Nothing. I called.

A receptionist said "He is in Florida. But I do see where he has a note about making certain it angles away from the sidewalk."  She said he would get in touch with me.

A few days later she called and wanted to know if I would be at home that day. I said I can be there at 12:30. He called at 12:10 - he was running early. I said I could not be there for another fifteen to 20 minutes. He said "Perfect."  Strange because that would put me at my original time of 12:30. Whatever.

I expected to hear him try to weasel out of this. I could feel it. It is what I am used to hearing.

Sure enough. When he came (at 1:00 making me late back to work) he said "You said back porch."  Never in my ten years of living here have I called my garage/patio a back porch. I have a back porch. Sheesh! We went back and forth a few times about what I said and finally he just said "I can give you a quote on that building, now."  I said okay.

He measured and said "$120.00".  I replied "Did  you include the gutter along the back of the garage?"  He said "You just said 'patio'".  Jesus H Christ Mister, how long have you been doing this job?

He saw the look on my face and quickly said "Well, it is the same length, so it will be double. And he scratched on his paper and said "$360.00, but since there was some confusion, I'll knock off  $60.00 to make it an even $300.00."   My mind immediately calculated 120 + 120 = 360? Since when?

I looked at him with that 'You are a real piece of work' look. I smiled (the one that does not reach my eyes) and quipped "I'll pass."  He said Okay. We did NOT shake hands and he left.

Seriously. First of all let's say he was correct and thought I meant the back porch. As a person who installs gutter/spouting on buildings, would he not have said when he called me with the quote "Ma'am. Did you also want a quote on the garage in the back?"  As a businessman - why would you not try to drum up  more business and at least offer to include that building? I mean 'come on!'.

Secondly, when he did measure the "patio" why did he just quote me the front of the garage? "Patio, smatio" - there is STILL a gutter along the back of my garage! He has been doing this for over 30 years! He just assumes I want one piece of gutter on my garage/patio after I got my entire house done?  Okay, okay. This time I probably did say "patio" but good grief!

Yesterday I get a phone call from the office. A guy (I don't know if it was the guy I spoke with or not) said he talked to Mr. (Company last name) and he said to tell you we can do that other building for $200.00.

I said " Okay, do it."  Done. BAM!

Let's get this little nightmare over with.

I can't deny that I smiled all day about this. The joke is probably on me, though. Folks I spoke to said that I paid way too much to have the house done. What do I know? Don't burst my bubble!

4 comments:

Tabor said...

I guess it is best to get three quotes on the work as long as you do not have to take time off to be there. But not everyone lives in an area where they can get three quotes.

Grumpy said...

Why do all contractors seem to be idiots?

Celia said...

At least your work done, sorry they made it so hard. I need to have some work done on mine and was told by two contractors including the one who put mine up originally that it was such a small job they wouldn't be able to get to it until October. Ack!

Anonymous said...

I need gutters in front. Have gotten bids twice, told one to go, install the gutters. The y called back and said he's covered up and don't know when they can get to me. I cancelled. When I get to feeling better, I'll call somebody else. Maybe.