Not my photo - swiped it from the Internets
So there I was Sunday. The day after the party. I was uncomfortable. I was finding it hard to catch my breath. Really? I only drank half a beer and one tiny kamikaze. Which was very delicious, I might add!
I fixed dinner. I dabbled on the computer. I watched a Christmas special. I washed some clothes. Other than that I just didn't feel all that good. No headache, though. Just a tightness in my chest and short of breath.
I went to bed at the usual time. I woke up earlier than usual this morning. Hmmm. Tightness in chest is gone. I feel pretty good. I get up - take the dogs out. I had two hours before getting ready for work. I get on the computer, catch up on some stuff. After about an hour I feel that tightness in my chest again. And, that smell! Ugh. That air freshener I found in the Christmas decorations sure lasts a long time!
I had sprayed some holiday scent on Wednesday when I put the tree up. It is one of those tiny cans from Bath & Body scented in winter holiday or something like that. Yuck! That can got tossed, turned my fan on and am trying to air the room out. It is warm outside but not near warm enough to open a door or window. It is also wet and damp.
Smells have always been an issue for me, but now that I get fewer headaches I thought I could stand a spritz of holiday freshness. Can it.
Which brings me to the lovely picture I have posted above. Not very festive is it?
Brother 1953 loved bugs and snakes and frogs. He collected many different creatures of that nature. He wanted to keep them all so he kept them in jars of formaldehyde in our basement. Our basement shelves contained canned tomatoes, green beans, carrots and pickles on one side and on the other - spiders, snakes, frogs, and salamanders in jars of formaldehyde. When my friends were allowed to come over they wanted to go to the basement to see the bugs and snakes. Needless to say their parents always wanted me to come to their house instead of the other way around. Could be they heard of the bugs and snakes in our basement (along with the dad with the drinking problem).
Anyway, one time nephew 1972 must have been angry or just being a kid - broke all the jars in our basement. Probably early 80's. Our house smelled of formaldehyde for a long time. I was away at the time. Somebody else picked up the critters, but the liquid was all over the floor and shelves. I can imagine how that smell must have affected the few of us still living in the house. Along with our coal fireplace. My mom loved that fireplace in our dining room.
Air fresheners and household cleansers can be very obnoxious to people with sensitive sniffers.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/208333-health-risks-of-scented-air-fresheners/
Phthalates
http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/184-how-air-fresheners-are-killing-you.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde
Phthalates
http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/184-how-air-fresheners-are-killing-you.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

No comments:
Post a Comment