
Pork, kraut, potatoes and bread
One would think that kraut was German, but my research tells me it originated in China and the Germans preserved it with salt instead of rice wine. I can relate to the potato originating in Peru(by). The pumpernickel bread is German. Pork - China again. Margarine - French?
I did not eat all that is shown. My eyes were bigger than my tummy after skipping lunch today. Give me the above meal and my crossword puzzle and you won't see me for an hour. Ice cold ginger ale to top it off. I left it on the back porch and I had ginger slush. It melted quickly once brought inside, though.
The true point to this post is one of my presents. A potato ricer. A while back I was dismayed at my lumpy mashed potatoes. I researched and decided to try russet potatoes and I asked for a potato ricer for Christmas and got one. Between the two of those my mashed potatoes have been picture perfect. The second time I made mashed potatoes, I didn't even have to bother with the mixer. Another plus for Miss "Don't Like the Kitchen".
3 comments:
That food looks yummy and is one of my favorite meals. I made the same thing for New Years and I made enough for a second meal Friday (today). Being part German, it is a tradition my parents started and I am continuing it. Hope you have a Happy New Year.
Certainly looks blonde!
Tabor
I've never heard of a potato ricer before. Wow. Thanks for the tip!
They say eating lots of sauerkraut is the main defense against bird flu. I actually read that.
If you want a dose of spring time, visit my bloggie. :)
~S
Post a Comment