Sunday, August 30, 2026

Wrong-way Wilson


 Growing up the youngest of eight children, when I was able to drive many older siblings had me drive them places or use their car.  I was good at driving and I drove a lot.  I was able to get around (before GPS) when we used paper maps.

Several times when somebody was confused as to where to go, I seemed to be able to pick the correct direction and route.

Somewhere over the years I have lost that talent.  If it was a talent.

There was an episode on Gilligan's Island back in the 60's with a character called Wrong-way Wilson.    I might just inherit that nickname.  If there is a wrong way to choose, I choose it.

I only pull out the GPS as the last resort.  I always think I know how to get there or go home.  If it is somewhere I've been to hundreds of times, no problem. 

But, when I go somewhere new, I seem to believe I can get myself back home without having to use my GPS.  I don't know why, but I am always choosing the wrong road/turn/route.  This seemed to have started happening the past five to ten years or so.  Is it Covid, chemo or age?


1 comment:

messymimi said...

Or a little of all three? I use the GPS frequently to plot a route home, not because I can’t get there, but to see where the traffic is easiest.