I had fun with this. I got all 25. I had to think hard on number 13. Now, how many have I actually read? Oh dear. Only 6 I think. My Mom had several of the above list of books and I spent many a summer re-organizing them, perusing them and even one time I typed up the blurb on the back of several of her books on little index cards. Before I did that, I taught myself how to type on an old black manual typewriter with a school class typing book. I practiced with that and then typed over a hundred index cards worth of blurbs. I wonder whatever happened to all those cards? Ha, ha. Who knows?
Of course this was back in the days that summers stretched out forever. Not like today where you blink and an entire month has disappeared. I don't know how that happens, but it happens to all of us.
Years of reading and re-reading all the titles to those books stuck with me.
As for the typewriter, it used that messy black ribbon that wrapped around two spools and I got my fingers inky several times. When you ran through the spool of ribbon you had to pop the two round ends out and switch them and type back over the other side. The keys were those big long silver arms that flipped up when you pressed the key and struck the ribbon with force that left the imprint on the paper.
Years later I recall using a light blue smith corona portable typewriter and even longer after that an electric typewriter with the letter ball. (At work I used the daisy letter wheel).

1 comment:
I remember all those typewriters and used all of them, too.
As for the books, when I get a moment I may come back and try to figure them out, right now I'm spent from a 10 hour work day.
Post a Comment