Not sure how they got the image on the right from the real image on the left. Close enough, I guess.
I am writing about the heart not because this is Valentine's day but because my SIL (sister-in-law) is in hospital with AFib. Her doctor wanted to try a new medicine and she needed to be admitted and monitored. It didn't go well. She coded (I had just left, my brother filled me in later). They had to use the paddles on her ....While she was awake! I can't even imagine. She is okay now and all is settled down and I am not sure the next step. I'll see them again tomorrow. I researched and my best guess is the medicine is called Digoxin.
My brother had open heart surgery four years ago. 3 of 4 valves were blocked. He said he had no pain, just indigestion. The doctor that examined him almost let him go. As the doctor was walking away he said he has had indigestion. That stopped him in his tracks. More tests and realized he'd had a heart attack. Since my brother said no pain, no chest pain, no arm pain etc... I think it was an annual exam.
They (my brother and his wife) are both seasoned EMTs and he mentioned usually when they take somebody in (to the hospital) with a heart attack are writhing in pain and the sweat is just pouring off of him. So as they say, different people have different symptoms.
Fortunately, my nephew (this brother's son) is a doctor and stopped to see him today. He was visiting his mother for the week-end (my brother's first wife). I stayed away and let them visit and will catch up tomorrow.
But really, can you imagine getting shocked with the paddles while you are conscious and aware of what is happening?
I hope I never find out.

1 comment:
My husband had A-fib and yes they paddled him while awake. They also did something where they put him under, stopped his heart and then used the paddles to start it again, with out the A-fib. That too was odd but it worked for awhile. The pacemaker is the Godsend. It does it's job perfectly. I hope she gets that to calm her mind and heart. I wish you the best!!
Post a Comment