Tuesday, September 23, 2025

Worn out


 Went to Berlin (Amish country) today.  The above photo of my front porch has nothing to do with our trip.  I did see the barn planter (one the same size and a smaller one) but not as much white on them.  

The above image I did over the week-end. I purchased some colorful mums and the orange decoration I made last year after visiting Jo-Ann's shop.  Which is now gone.  I guess a Hobby Lobby is coming to our town.

Berlin is only an hour away from me and honestly, a lot of food items there are stocked at my local grocery stores and small markets in my town. As are the many cheese options.  So much cheese!

Today we went to browse the crafts.  Wow!  So much out there.  A couple of bus loads came in today and there were quite a few shoppers walking around town.  I've seen it a lot busier.  

I'm planning a family camp fire this week-end at Maize Valley in Hartville, OH.  I'm trying to get a family event four times a year.  Christmas we have done for years.  My oldest sister has hosted Memorial day for years (we consider that the summer one).  I think she said it was a bit much for them so they are stopping it.  It is an awful lot. Years ago I used to host the 4th of July (I think if you go back far enough in my posts, you will see pics of some of the parties).  I would get about 40 people. I stopped them when a family member would ruin it each year with her drunken escapades and nobody needs to have their children around that. She had been in prison for years and family get togethers were stress free and so fun.  Sigh.  I have to add this - she is great fun when she is sober.

Anyway, this week-end it looks like mid-70s and hopefully no rain. I reserved the pavilion so we will be under a roof.  I would imagine the campfire will be outside, though.  I am bringing hot dogs and buns, condiments and calico beans.  Everybody loves the calico beans, here is my recipe (some folks call them cowboy beans).

Calico Beans

1 large can of baked beans (with juice)

1 can black beans (drained)

1 can kidney beans (drained)

1 can butter beans (drained)

1 can green lima beans (drained)

2 tiny cans of the small green baby limas (they are too cute not to add in, but sometimes hard to find)

3/4  cup brown sugar (adjust to your desire of sweetness)

14 oz catsup (I get the cheapest brand for this)

1 Tbsp dijon mustard - adjust for taste (or honey mustard, or dried mustard powder)

1/2  lb cooked and crumbled bacon

1 lb ground beef, browned, broken up and drained

1 small onion diced (I use yellow cooking onion or sweet white.  I think red/purple is too strong)

But you do you.

You can add any other beans you want, also save some of the drained juices in the refrigerator in case the beans become too dry and they need liquid.

You can adjust amounts to your liking after you make it for a while and family members tell you they like it this way or that way.  The above way is how I make it for my crew. You can add Worcestershire sauce, I don't as my daughter is sensitive to it and usually has a skin reaction when she eats it.

I brown the ground beef and fry the bacon on the stove but then add everything to a crock pot on low for 4 - 6 hours. I usually make everything the day before and refrigerate the beans in the crock overnight and fire them up early the next morning (make sure you have the time to cook them all the way through before your get together) and take them to the event in a crock pot that travels well.  

Now, this next part is V-E-R-Y important. Get a crock pot with the lock-down lid. And even with a lock-down lid, put them in a cardboard box so they fit snug and cannot move around.  Pad with old dish towels if you need to. You do not want spilled beans of any kind in your car.  Trust me on this. No matter how much you clean it, you will be reminded of the spillage each and every time it rains.

1 comment:

messymimi said...

What a cool recipe, it sounds easy and good for a lot of people.

Happy Gathering!