I was housesitting for my niece this past week. She has two dogs. I got up on Wednesday, let the dogs out and fed them and went to take my shower. When I came back downstairs there was blood paw prints everywhere all over the family room. It took me a minute to figure out which dog was bleeding and it was Daisy's dew claw. At first I thought she chewed it. She was licking it. My niece had just moved into this house and I did not know where any bandages or gauze was located if there even was any. To top it all off I had left my phone at my house when I went to check on things on Tuesday (Plants and my dogs, etc...) I did have my computer so I facebook'd my daughter and told her the situation. She is the one you want to have in an emergency. She said take a towel, wrap it around the paw and put a hair tie around it to hold it on. I have scrunchies (old school) but I did just that. Whew. She also said get to a pet store and get a product that stops bleeding. I'd forgotten about this powder (we had a small container when we had our cockatiel). When clipping any nails on any animal there is always the chance of bleeding.
I wrapped the foot of the dog, knowing darn well she was going to pull it off. I jumped in the car and as I was driving down the road, I realized it was 8:15 in the morning. No pet store or drug store was open yet. I went to a grocery store. Of course the employee who was in the aisle could not help me. This was the pharmacy aisle. The pet section was completely at the far end of the store. I fast walked passing a man in a motorized cart. If I had to, I would have cut him off and the end of the aisle. I think he was trying to race me. I persevered and pulled ahead. I was in a small panic. Nothing. I fast walked back to the pharmacy aisle (Pharmacy was closed so there was no asking anybody in that department). I finally found some Bleed - Stop and I also grabbed wound cleaner. (Totally forgot gauze and tape but she would just pull them off). Of course I get in line where the person in front of me does not know how to use their card on the machine. I grabbed my stuff and ran to the next line. That one also took a while. My debit card is in my phone case holder along with my drivers license, credit cards, grocery store cards, car insurance ...you know. I did have my small purse with cash, though. The cashier ran the items up and I gave her a $20. She said "We don't take cash." My brain deflated. Okay, leave the stuff and run to the other side of the town to get to the drug store which must be open by now. This was in a split second. Then the cashier said "You have to put your cash in the slot down there" and she pointed to a slot under the conveyer belt. Why the hell didn't she lead with that?! Instead of saying "We don't take cash." Then she asked if I had a store card. I did but it was in my phone case an hour away. I said "No." She asked "Phone number?" In that split second I couldn't have rattled off my phone number to save my life. I said "No! Just...." I really can't recall what I said. I grabbed the stuff and quickly drove back to my niece's house.
Yes, the dog had pulled off the towel. The dogs were jumping around the family room smearing more blood all around the floor. I tried to get Daisy up on the couch. She was not having anything to do with that. The other dog - Pepper, jumped up for me. She was like "I'm the good dog, see? I do what you say!" Sigh. I finally got Daisy up on the couch and opened a packet of Bleed Stop and gently began packing it around the back paw. Now take a minute here and let me explain something. I have no fear of my dogs or my niece's dogs. They are sweet as can be. But, my daughter was recently bit in the hand by a stray she was trying to take back to the owner and she required 16 stitches. So, I was thinking - great. If this dog bites me, there is nobody here and I have no cell phone. (New house - no land line and she probably won't get one anyway. I dropped my landline years ago). No incidents. The dog was as sweet as could be but she didn't want me touching it - rightfully so.
Now - how to tell if the bleeding stopped? I had to clean up all the blood on the floor because the dogs were still dancing around. It took me quite a few wet paper towels but I got it all and kept watching Daisy. No more blood. Whew! I didn't tell my niece until she returned Thursday afternoon. It was all taken care of and the ordeal was over, so there was no need to stress her out. She really, really likes her critters.
I called and checked on Daisy today and she is doing very well. I am reminding myself to get some Bleed Stop for my medicine cabinet. I have two dogs (my daughter has two) and I have one cat. You just never know.

1 comment:
Gracious, it sounds like one of those Murphy's Law on steroids stories! I'm glad the bleeding did stop and you got it all cleaned up.
Post a Comment