Wednesday, June 18, 2025

Summer Days


 Summers used to stretch out forever when I was young and between school years.  Weeks of anticipation for all sorts of fun things to come my way.  These days I get up and realize gee - the days are flying by.  I tried to read about how we perceive time as we age but I figured I was just wasting even more time trying to figure it out and just go out and live life.

More often than not, I get lost in a news story I am reading and when I come back to reality I shake my head about the time I spent going down that rabbit hole. Today's news can be quite depressing and I find that I tell myself "You have to stop thinking about that.  Incidents like these are not new to the world. They have been going on forever and will continue to do so even long after you are gone."  

Stories about abused animals, children or just people in general are the ones that make me pause and I find my mind grasping at thoughts 'What can I do?'  Why/how are some dealt the hand they are given?

Making lists help to keep me on track.  If I get lost in a book or an Internet posting, I keep my list handy and push myself to cross something off of it.  Even simple things like "Clean the vegetable bin in the refrigerator" can help me get things done during my adjustment to retired life.  If I don't keep a list, I'll put things off for days (forgetting about them) and then when I am lying awake at night they come back to haunt me and I get upset and admonish myself for procrastinating. 

We have rain all day today, so I will focus on inside jobs.  I lifted the image above from the Internet. It is Ohio and reminds me of the images I used to take when I took the time to stop by the lake.  These days I just snap photos with my phone.  I'll add to my list to get my Canon SLR camera out and begin working with it again.

1 comment:

messymimi said...

The picture is beautiful and I know what you mean about how we can procrastinate and things just don't get done.