I may have mentioned a week or so ago about some techs having issue with a new feature our organization's filter has. It is a reporting feature. A school tech can run several reports to see what is going on in their network. At a school district you want to stay on top of things.
Here is my dilemma. I have to learn about the report features so that I can tell our techs that they have this, this and that available to them. So I run plenty of reports to see what they are.
In doing so, there is one school district, the end user is logged in as an Administrator and several hundred hits are searches for p0rn.
Now, this is where I have to be discreet. The first thing I did was to run a report on just that end user for the past seven days and hand it over to my superior.
Remember - this could be an Admin user who is not logging off of their machine and a student is doing all the searching. Or, the student may have stolen the login credentials. The searches are very young-ish school age searches. The age of the girls searched for etc.
Now, what will be interesting to me is to see what my superiors instruct me to do. Of course, I am not the person to do anything as far as the school goes, but do they want me to continue to turn over this type of report or am I to turn a blind eye?
I mean - nobody was doing this for the dozen or so years before we purchased this feature. This feature was not purchased to do this. It was purchased to make the lives of our district techs easier. The tech should be the one pulling this type of report but this is all new - we are still in a testing phase.
Every end users signed an Acceptable use policy.
Here is my view. If the admin is viewing p0rn during school hours on a school owned computer - they need to stop and possibly be reprimanded. If a student is using the computer under the Admin's login - that needs to stop. Either way - to me - it needs to be addressed.
What I will really hate (and this is what I expect) is that it will be totally ignored. As if I did not even send the message. Time will tell.

8 comments:
If anybody is searching for porn featuring young girls on a school computer then some action needs to be taken. If the powers that be ignore the report and it comes out later they are going to be in some very hot water.
Most companies have zero tolerance for this; view porn on a work computer and you are terminated.
Not just p0rn but child p0rn. Whoever it is needs to be found and gotten out of the school system asap. Lord only knows what else the perp has been up too.
For your own protection ( Do you remember that guy at U of P?) you need to document in some way that you sent information that was of concern and you wanted to know if any action was going to be taken to insure that this was not something dangerous to students going on. At least it might make them get some balls and deal with it rather than worrying about some lawsuit and it will show that you were concerned.
Tabor is right, make sure your own ass is covered.
It's the people who don't report it, who let it go, are scummy. You've done the right thing, and i agree that making sure you can prove you reported it is a wise idea.
Wow. Incredible to think that this could even POSSIBLY be ignored. In our school district, it wouldn't matter WHO it was, it would be dealt with IMMEDIATELY. Please update us on what, if anything, IS done -
Dog Hair - this was weird. About 1 minute ago, I pulled a dog hair out of my coffee and immediately said "Dog Hair in my coffee". Spooky!
LOL - that's why my blog is so aptly named, I think... you can't have dogs, and coffee (or anything else for that matter) without a bit of the two mixing!
Post a Comment